UPDATED 11th June
The HSE is keen to provide reassurance to those who may have concerns. They have confirmed that there is no evidence to suggest the clinical elements of the screening programme are faulty. The quality of smear-taking by doctors and nurses is not in question. All the labs used have passed all quality control tests and are operating to the required standards.
Women who have had normal test results in the past can continue to participate in the cervical screening programme according to their normal schedule and are advised to read the information on cervicalcheck.ie.
Should any woman remain concerned:
- Repeat cervical screenings are now available at North Gate Medical Centre for those who had a smear test more than 3 months ago.
- Free Cervical Consultation with your GP via our Appointment line.
Cervical Check are updating their page regularly based on common queries that they are receiving through to the phone line. The below information may answer some of your questions:
- what has happened to date
- repeat smear tests
- if you had a smear test in the last 3 months
- if you have normal smear test results
- when to see a GP
- if you have cervical cancer
- if you are a colposcopy patient
- if you are a hysterectomy patient
- pregnancy and smear tests
- if you have a scheduled smear test
- reliability of screening
- the labs we use
- new HPV test
- open disclosure (sharing information)
- how to arrange a callback